Obalende Bridge squatters ordered to leave

The Lagos State Government has issued a four-day ultimatum to commercial drivers and squatters beneath the Obalende Bridge to vacate their shanties and move any unlawful motor parks to the state’s recognised parks.

The ultimatum was contained in a statement on Sunday by the Director of Public Affairs, Lagos State Ministry of Environment, Kunle Adeshina.

Adeshina quoted the Commissioner of Environment, Tokunbo Wahab, as saying that all abandoned vehicles, shanties, and their occupants, currently under the Obalende Bridge must vacate by Thursday afternoon, stressing that enforcement would begin on Friday morning.

Adeshina said commercial vehicle owners ruining Obalende’s beauty should move to one of the several parks that had been set aside for them in the state.

“The Lagos State Parks and Gardens Agency would move in after the squatters have been removed to commence work on the beautification and landscaping of Obalende Under-Bridge, Apongbon Under-Bridge, Ebute Ero Under-Bridge,” the commissioner said.

The PUNCH reported that the Lagos State Government had earlier issued a similar ultimatum to squatters under the Ijora Causeway Bridge and the Lagos Blue Rail Line overpass.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.

Contact: [email protected]

Credit Gist New Today News in Newspaper Nigeria Headlines

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *